Sunday, November 30, 2008

Treasure

Many years ago our theme at girls camp was "Lay up for yourselves Treasure in Heaven". I don't remember much about camp, or any specifics of the things we were taught. What I do remember is that I came with the idea that if I did what was right, and made it back to live with my Heavenly Father that I would, in the process secure for myself treasure in Heaven. I still believe that to be true.
At the time however, the treasure I had pictured in my mind was that of a somewhat naive, innocent, young women. I imagined I would have a beautiful castle where I would reside "happily ever after" with my husband. I assumed that this treasure would resemble what I considered to be Earthly treasure. Beauty, jewels, riches, ect. I didn't put too much thought or consideration into the significance of this Heavenly treasure, how it was truly aquired, or what it really was.
Soon after having Branson I read this scripture: Matthew 6: 19-21

19 ¶ Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.


As I read this scripture my mind adopted a new understanding of Heavenly treasure. My previous imaginations have been replaced with beautiful glimpses of my celestial son. Although I've only seen him as a baby with my earthly eyes, I often picture him as a young man, a missionary. Handsome, tall, and full of light. I can easily picture a smile that brightens my heart more than any Earthly jewel or treasure ever could. When I "look" at this image in my mind, I am met by the most brilliant, understanding, loving eyes. At times I even try to run towards my son and embrace the person I have imagined. A large piece of my heart longs to be with him, and therefore, where my heart is...there my treasure is also!
I still hold on to the imaginations of my young heart. However, now I don't mind so much if it's a cottage rather than a castle...a cottage where I can be with Rob, Branson, and my other children. A cottage where the Heavenly treasures can be held in my arms.
Although the journey along the way to the treasure is difficult, I know how this story will end, and it's "happily ever after"! I pray I can do all in my power to receive the treasure that awaits! Branson, thank you for being my tiny little boy that is now my biggest Heavenly treasure. I love you!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful, Natalie! You keep writing my FAVORITE post ever! :)
That is definitely one of the greatest blessings that has come from this painful trial--my heart is now in heaven with my treasure--I care much less for things of this temporary world.
Thank you for your uplifting words. You are amazing.
I'm grateful to be your friend!

kate said...

i was so excited to come across your blog. i think about you often....
love ya

Becca said...

Hi Nat! I'm so glad I found you :)
I love the picture that Trevor drew for you, it's amazing. I really hope that the next 3 months go fast for you. I feel really excited and anxious for you, and can't wait for you to experience motherhood like you are meant to! I'm always thinking of you and hope we can get together soon. Maybe Christmas? Let's get together and make holiday treats like we used to. I miss you and I love you!
Becca